Kevin is a registered patent attorney, marathoner, mountaineer, poet, engaged community member, and blessed father and husband. Kevin founded Christopher IP Law, relaunched as Ridgeline Venture Law in 2018 in recognition of new attorneys and specialties. Kevin's practice focuses on intellectual property licensing, litigation and prosecution, social enterprise, and commercialization.
Previously, Kevin led bioinformatics, bioscience, and biotech licensing activities at Lawrence Livermore National Lab, steered large scale partnerships in renewable energy and synthetic biology for UC Berkeley, and mentored SBIR-funded startups under the National Institutes of Health. Additionally, Kevin has served as a foundational team member or key advisor for startups with algal production, biomass conversion, microbiome editing, and hepatocellular carcinoma diagnostic technologies.
As a student, Kevin was a teaching assistant to former State of Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm at Berkeley Law, outstanding scholar in the UC Hastings Law and Bioscience program, judicial extern for U.S. District Court Judge Charles R. Breyer, law clerk for the U.S. Attorney’s Office, and regularly featured poet in To An Unknown God – A Journal of Christian Thought at Berkeley.
UC Berkeley, School of Law
UC Davis, Biomedical Engineering
UNIVERSITY OF SAN FRANCISCO SCHOOL OF LAW
Juris Doctor, 2010
Activities & Affiliations
- Advisory Board, Biz Foundry
- Advisory Board, Chattanooga INCubator
- Advisory Board, Tennessee Bar Association (TBA) LAVPA
- Executive Council, TBA Intellectual Property Section
- Leadership Law, TBA Class of 2017
- Mentor, CO.LAB
- Mentor, Social Enterprise Alliance
- Mentor, Tennessee Life Science Network
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- "Tech Transfer to Manufacturing." University of California, Berkeley Entrepreneurship Symposium. Biomedical Entrepreneurship: A Roadmap to the Future. Berkeley, CA. 14 Oct. 2014. Presentation.
- "Startups and Venture Capital." Industry Contract Officers Network Annual Meeting. Caltech University. Pasadena, CA. 16 Oct. 2012. Presentation.
- Granholm, Jennifer et al. "Creating Jobs through Investment in Renewable Energy and Clean Technology: A Proposal for Secretary of Energy Dr. Steven Chu." Washington, DC. 29 May 2012. Presentation.
- "Reclaiming our Technological Posterity at the Intersection of Intellectual Property and Taxation: Uncovering how Patent Pools are Key to Recapturing the Benefits of Charitable IP Contributions," American University Intellectual Property Brief (April 2011).
- Interstate Renewable Energy Council, Freeing the Grid (2010).
- Paul Herman, The Hip Investor: Make Bigger Profits by Building a Better World (2009).